I think the imagery used by Thomas Hardy in 'The Convergence of the Twain' is very powerful and cleverly used.
I think line 30 has a very striking image as it is basically saying that the titanic and the iceberg were 'twin halves', just as great as one another. I think this is saying that man cannot triumph or outshine nature. This also links with stanza 'VII' in the way that such great things are being brought down by nature. Stanza 'VII' says 'prepared a sinister mate' connoting evil and 'For her-so gaily great' meaning it was a great match, this makes me think that even such things of beauty and grace can be brought down almost like such great things shouldnt exsist.
I also like how the Titanic is described like first it is described with 'Jewel in joy designed' then 'their sparkles bleared and black and blind' this describes the change between what used to be a gloriuous ship and what is now a wreck at the bottom of the sea.
There is also sexual connotations within the poem with words like 'Sensuous' and 'consummation' i think these words make it seem like the titanic, iceberg and sea were all meant to come together as though it was fate.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
The Convergence of the Twain
Posted by Lewi at 7:30 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Good comments. Good analysis of language.
Post a Comment